Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Roti (Almost) Worthy of a Mahatma

Since The Global Gourmand has become my altar of sorts, from which I pontificate on all sorts of culinary matters to my church of no one, I figured that I would continue with my Toronto-based restaurant/take-out recommendations while still in this great city - to no objections.

Gandhi Cuisine is a hole in the wall that is definitely one of my favorite little spots in Toronto. In my last life as a corporate ladder climber (really, that was my job), I would make regular noontime pilgrimages to Gandhi. On a good day I might even credit the place for showing me the light and putting me on the path to spiritual (read: gourmand) enlightenment.

Those familiar with Caribbean rotis will note that as the name suggests, these are not your standard rotis. I like to think of them as East Indian food wrapped up the island way, in a roti more resembling a thin naan than a traditional West Indian roti with dhal puri. Can you tell that I like my rotis?

First of all, if sufficient lunchtime manna is all you seek, you will not leave unsatisfied. You may not even have to eat again for the rest of the day for that matter. These grail-sized entities are like pouches of holiness filled with delicious Indian curries. No creature need be harmed either, as there are lots of veggie options, such as the saag paneer and chana masala rotis. For me however, since I'd rather spend my next incarnation as a feeder worm than give up meat, I go straight for the butter chicken or chicken tikka rotis. The brave souls ask for lots of pepper, but if you're new on your journey to chili Bodhi, you may want to say a quick prayer before you adopt that dogma. You're in an Indian restaurant afterall.

Heed my words - always call ahead to put in your order - the Great Ones reward foresight with prompt roti conveyance. I highly recommend checking this place out. It will fill the empty spot in your soul that you didn't know you had.

554 Queen St. West
Toronto, Ontario
416.504.8155

5 comments:

  1. that looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, bill evans! Where are you playing next?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make a roti-rookie want to ditch off work early and go eat one right now. And when I say work, I mean writing my poetry/lyrics of course.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails