Monday, January 31, 2011

Better scrambled eggs

Eggs are a bit of a funny thing for me. Sometimes I love them and sometimes I can't bear the thought of eating them. What's great about them though is how many ways there are to prepare them (think Forrest Gump, just for eggs). Even better, MOST are pretty easy to do. Anyone can cook an egg right? That's what I thought before the last time I prepared myself a boiled egg as hard as rock, or worse yet, scrambled eggs as dry as the desert.

Like with 'undercooked' steak, I used to be really picky about my scrambled eggs not being too wet. Enlightening was the moment when I realized that I would not keel over after consuming raw steak or wet eggs, and that I actually preferred them this way.

The classic way to do scrambled eggs is in the pan. It can be done well if cooked on low heat, but unless you prefer those rubbery dry pellets, why not try the French way?

The bain-marie, or water bath, is a great way to heat foods that are sensitive to heat such as chocolate. It is an indirect method that involves boiling water under a bowl. You may know it as a water bath or double boiler, but for eggs, the improvised bowl method works well.

* Begin by bringing water to a boil in a pot
* Once boiling, turn down the heat and place a large glass or steel bowl directly on the pot
* Crack your eggs into the bowl and begin whisking
* Allow them to come together by whisking/stirring regularly but not overly (you'll see it)
* Once the eggs have started to come together, take them off the heat, fold in some cold butter, season with salt and pepper and top with chives!
* You can at this point also add any ingredients (salmon, sauteed mushrooms, etc) as well as a small splash of cream or creme fresh if you want it extra creamy

GG

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails