Thursday, March 18, 2010

Shawarma Showdown

So, as I'm in Toronto now for a couple months before heading back to Paris, I'm going on a bit of a mission to cover as many secret (or not so secret) spots as possible before leaving. This one is take-out top brass.

In my last year of university, I was living on Brunswick Avenue in the Annex. Needless to say, I was a regular at a lot of the establishments along Bloor and College, many of which were alcohol-serving. My diagonal walks home usually took me to one of a number of pizza places, but there was also no shortage of falafel and shawarma joints along the way.

I first had Sarah's shawarma in my first year of school, and it was one of those places that was still good when I was walking normally. Most of the folks that inhabit that area of town will favor one of the several shawarma places between Spadina and Bathurst on Bloor, but trust me, Sarah's is best - I've done the research. I used to be a little unfaithful and frequent two other spots as well, but they've both since then changed their product and made Sarah's the clear winner. Both the falafel and shawarma are good. I like them spicy without too much parsley. Wrapped and bagged for easy, drip-free consumption.

If you're planning on taking any diagonal walks, they're open until 5 a.m. on Friday and Saturday.

GG

Toronto, Ontario  
416.975.9986

3 comments:

  1. looks so good!!! i wish we had shawarma in paris!!
    i am insanely impressed by this blog!! the pics are super good and the tips even better global gourmand!!
    Const xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I'm sure we can find some shawarma in Paris but we'll probably have to go during the day and in a group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The return to Sarah from Leila, inevitable. Sarah had the Jumex anyway.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails