Saturday, April 24, 2010

Work for Tinkers' Hands


I see it all the time - people buying their pots and pans from the same place they buy their hönjvars and kevigs. Not that I have anything against that place, as I am there all the time, but there's a place for everything.

I'm a big proponent of the 'buy it once' (or as few times as possible) philosophy. It doesn't mean that the most expensive item is the best, it just means that the cheapest one probably isn't. Why buy 3 cheap saute pans that don't work well or last long, when you can buy one great one that does the job well for years?

Ok, I think I've made my point.

So do you buy the 30-piece set once for $6,000? No. In my humble opinion, any budding chef needs a small sauce pot, a couple larger pots - one with an insert for steaming, 2 frying pans, a saute pan (there is a difference), a cast iron skillet (don't forget to season it), a large pot for soups and stews, a dutch oven (Le Creuset), a roasting pan with a rack, and maybe a wok.


I recommend:

Metal handles, bolted on - sturdy and can go straight into the oven

I do NOT like Teflon and other non-stick coatings - I swear I can smell it coming off some pans when they get hot.

I love copper cookware. Do I own any? Probably won't for a while.

Lots of info out there, do your research!

Treat your cookware well!

GG

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails